Challenge – “Flowers”
24 February 2023 @ 19:00
The Online Challenge brief for February is as follows:
Theme – Flowers
Entries for this theme will depict images that fall under the following description.
Flowers are naturally photogenic in themselves. They normally provide a wonderful abundance of colours, textures, and shapes. Flower and plant photography celebrates their natural beauty and is often a great way to improve your photography skills.
- Your Phone. – As we saw in last month’s exhibition, mobile phones are more than capable of doing the job. It’s always with you, and if you have one made within the last four or five years, it will take amazing photos of flowers.
- Your Camera – A DSLR camera and lens will give you more options for creating flower photography at the professional level. A 50mm or 85mm lens with wide apertures helps create magical blurry backgrounds due to the shallow depth of field.
- Your Tripod – A tripod will assist in eliminating camera shake to make your flower images sharper. A cable release will allow you to step away from your equipment while you take your shots. Maybe try a long exposure, leaving the shot open for a few seconds to some movement that makes the flower look like a painting.
- A Reflector – This is a favourite tool for flower photography, especially outside. It’s handy for filling in shadows. Normally you’ll be getting a lot of low angles and shadows, and a reflector will help to redirect the sunlight.
- A Macro Lens – Not essential but really does allow you to go the extra mile and show the wonderful intricacies of petals and pollen.
A few tips to get great shots
- Choose your focal point
- Think about colour in advance
- What are the details the particular flower or plant has?
- Enhance patterns or textures
- Don’t be afraid of the close-ups.
- As always, the composition is key
- Try different times of the day.
- Photos must be your work and not previously exhibited or displayed in APG events.
- 2-year rule applies
- Photos can be colour, black & white or any monochrome colour.
- Photos must be at least 1800px on the longest edge and can be in Landscape or Portrait formats.
- Maximum of Two Images per Member.
- Entitle your image “Exhibition-name-image-title-firstname-lastname.jpg” For example Flowers-The Marigold-joe-blogs.jpg
Order of Merit
- All Images Submitted for this Challenge will accrue (1 – One) Merit point each.
- The top 3 images (selected by Guest Judge) will accrue (5 – Five) Merit Points each.
Deadline for Entries
- The deadline for entries is 17:00 on Tuesday 21st February 2023
How to Submit your Entries
- Please send your images to the following e-mail “membership(at)algarvephotographersgroup.org”
with the Subject: Flowers
- The Online Gallery will be published at 19:00 on Friday 24th of February 2023
We look forward to seeing your entries.