Challenge – “Street Photography”
29 October 2021 @ 19:00 - 21:30
Octobers’ Online Challenge brief is as follows:
Brief – Street Photography
Entries for this theme will depict images that fall under the following description.
Wikipedia defines Street Photography as “photography conducted for art or enquiry that features unmediated chance encounters and random incidents.” Typically, street photography is about capturing life in public areas at random moments in unstaged environments. Furthermore, and contrary to its name, and what some think, street photography does not have to be done on the streets. You can do street photography anywhere.
A few tips for consideration when taking photos of this type are:
- Know your camera settings (be sure to ensure that the lens and settings will give your a decent shot at the drop of a hat).
- Be prepared for the decisive moment.
- Shoot from a distance.
- When possible, shoot from behind glass.
- Shoot from behind people.
- Use contrasting light.
- Don’t be afraid to ask strangers to be subjects.
Note: Without going into all the details, Portuguese law summarises Street Photography as follows:
- Street photographers can take photographs without consent when they are public figures, public events or the image appears framed in public places.
- They can broadcast (internet, exhibitions and books) images of people as long as they are in public spaces or for cultural purposes. It is only prohibited when it constitutes an offence to the honour, reputation or simple decorum of the person concerned. If the focus is on a particular person, it may not be displayed, published or commercially released without their consent.
- Photos must be your work and not previously exhibited or displayed in APG events.
- No restriction on when the photo was taken.
- Photos can be colour, black & white or any monochrome colour.
- Photos must be at least 1800px on the longest edge and can be Landscape or Portrait formats.
- Maximum of Two Images per Member. (to start with).
- Entitle your image “Exhibition-name-image-title-firstname-lastname.jpg” For example Street-Photography–crowded- space-joe-blogs.jpg
- There will be no contribution to the Order of Merit.
Deadline for Entries
- The deadline for entries is 17:00 on Tuesday 26th October 2021
How to Submit your Entries
- Please send your images to the following e-mail “membership(at)algarvephotographersgroup.org”
with the Subject: Street Photography
- The Online Gallery will be published at 19:00 on Friday 29th October 2021
We look forward to seeing your entries.